Search

Thursday, October 12, 2017

When I'm Through with You by Stephanie Kuehn


Rating: 1-Star

Summary on Goodreads.

"Ben Gibson is many things, but he’s not sorry and he’s not a liar. He will tell you exactly how what started as a simple school camping trip in the mountains ended the way it did. About who lived and who died. About who killed and who had the best of intentions. And he’ll tell you about Rose. But he’s going to tell you in his own time. Because after what happened on that mountain, time is the one thing he has plenty of..." [+ more]

I thought I was a Kuehn's fan, but after reading The Smaller Evil and now this book I don't know anymore.

As always, Kuehn's writing is good but I didn't like the characters.

Ben is dating Rose just because. If I'm not mistaken he doesn't love her, as he said when he was going over to see Rose after she came back from a trip that he wasn't excited to see her again. But then they go on a camping trip and there Rose gets wounded and suddenly Ben is all "my Rose." I mean... where did this love come from?

So Rose and Ben are total opposites: rich and poor, outgoing vs introvert, free spirit vs undecided... and so on; but this match is not made out of love because is pretty clear that Rose doesn't love Ben either.

I was bored with Ben indecisiveness and Rose free-spirited personality.

Rose, Ben and other students go on a camping trip to put into practice the surviving skills they were learning at school. During this trip, (naturally) some students behave stupidly and bad things happen.

***SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS***
That terrible thing that Ben did? He killed Rose because she got shot (because other students cleverly decided to rob other campers) and he couldn't heart to see her suffer. Yeap, pretty stupid in my opinion.