Search

Wednesday, October 4, 2017

The Child Finder by Rene Denfeld


Rating: 5-Stars

Summary on Goodreads.

"Three years ago, Madison Culver disappeared when her family was choosing a Christmas tree in Oregon’s Skookum National Forest. She would be eight years old now—if she has survived. Desperate to find their beloved daughter, certain someone took her, the Culvers turn to Naomi, a private investigator with an uncanny talent for locating the lost and missing. Known to the police and a select group of parents as The Child Finder, Naomi is their last hope..." [+ more]

This book is child abduction written differently. I was just immersed in this story (skipping irrelevant details here and there).

I don't know why every book (mystery and thriller) has to tie the main character (the person investigating) to something about the story. For me (obviously a personal preference) this is not necessary. I do not want to read about the love life of the MC! I just want to follow the story of what is being investigated and how is going to be solved.

I loved this book because it showed a different take on child abduction. A child, Madison, disappeared one day. Three years later she's not found and her parents hire a private investigator to find Madison.

Told in the voices of the child finder and a child, this story is so well written that my heart is broken into pieces. I could really feel what the characters were living. I loved the child's voice, and the work of the child finder had me glued to the pages.

As always, the child finder has her own bagage as she is a lost child herself without memory of who she was. So finding Madison gets mixed with the story of the child finder and how she was afraid to love. I skipped most of it because I didn't care for it, although I admit that it might be important to understand Naomi's dedication to finding missing children.

This book has potential for a next one about Naomi finding her own past.

The details of the snow and the cold were superb. The ending was sad and satisfying at the same time. I'm in awe and now must read Denfeld's previous book, The Enchanted.