Search

Tuesday, September 12, 2017

The Leaf Reader by Emily Arsenault


Rating: 2-Stars

Summary on Goodreads.

"Marnie Wells knows that she creeps people out. It’s not really her fault; her brother is always in trouble, and her grandmother, who’s been their guardian since Mom took off is…eccentric. So no one even bats an eye when Marnie finds an old book about reading tea leaves and starts telling fortunes. The ceremony and symbols are weirdly soothing, but she knows—and hopes everyone else does too—that none of it’s real..." [+ more]

Not worth reading. Too many good books out there to waste your time with this one.

This book did nothing for me. The interesting part for me was the leaf reading and I admit it was done nicely. Marnie (the main character) never fully believed in it either, she just gave the meaning of the symbols she saw.

And although tea leaf reading had something to do with solving the disappearance of Andrea, the book relied in your usual YA 101 to solve the mystery: the teens do it. Now, Marnie was always directing Matt to the police and at one point she went to the police herself; so for that I give the book 2 stars (the author kind of kept it real here).

On the other side, Marnie is poor and she is constantly aware of it. Well, I guess that living surrounded but rich people would make you think twice before inviting someone to your house. But the "he is not supposed to want to kiss someone like me" made me roll my eyes.

The other rich characters were not bitches - thank God! They were nice girls with flat personalities that I didn't care about. There was nothing to distinguish one character from the other except their names.

As always, instead of going to the police, someone prefers email Matt hints about a dead body (no indication that he was going to be Sherlock Holmes). So Matt and Marnie take upon investigating in such an unappealing way that I almost DNF the book. I kept reading it because it is a short read.

I don't know what the point of Noah, Marnie's brother in the book is other than to make her look even more low class because he had overdose. And Noah went from "I haven't talk to him (another character) in a long time to "he would call me out of the blue and I would talk to him." So did you keep in touch yes or not?

****SPOLERS SPOILERS ***

Suddenly Andrea comes back (she was not dead after all). And that is that. Someone else died and that is the reason she dissapeared. She was scared; but obviously not any more. Hmmm...

Some other kid died at a party at one of the rich kid's house and they hid the body because they didn't know how he had died (while being insanely high on drugs). But for some reason one of them thought it was time for the body to turn up and was emailing Matt with clues that were further revealed through Marnie's readings. Apparently, after all this time, they were all being consumed with guilt.