Search

Saturday, September 23, 2017

Fereal Youth by Shaun David Hutchinson


Rating: 1-Star

Summary on Goodreads.

"At Zeppelin Bend, an outdoor education program designed to teach troubled youth the value of hard work, cooperation, and compassion, ten teens are left alone in the wild. The teens are a diverse group who come from all walks of life, and they were all sent to Zeppelin Bend as a last chance to get them to turn their lives around. They’ve just spent nearly two weeks learning to survive in the wilderness, and now their instructors have dropped them off eighteen miles from camp with no food, no water, and only their packs, and they’ll have to struggle to overcome their vast differences if they hope to survive..." [+ more]

If you think this book is about 10 teens trying to survive in the wilderness, think again; it is not. This book is actually a collection short stories from some popular YA authors (Marieke Nijkamp got two stories in it. Also Stephanie Kuehn wrote a story but I was to upset to give a shit).

Now, why would I want go from the setting of the teens in the wood to random stories of ghosts, butterflies and what have you?

I really liked the beginning to the book! How Gio described everybody and how the atmosphere was set. But then he came up with the great idea of telling stories to make time go faster and whatever, and that is when the book lost appeal for me.

I guess the story each teen said was in a way a window into their personalities, but then again, I didn't give a crap about what they did or who they were before, and I definitely didn't need a 20 page short story to tell me why X teen was there. How were the stories going to help them survive, exactly?

So in reality, this misleading summary set me up to read a book of short stories which I just happen to hate (except if they are written by Junot Diaz).