Search

Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Emma in the Night by Wendy Walker


Rating: 3-Stars

Summary Goodreads.

"One night three years ago, the Tanner sisters disappeared: fifteen-year-old Cass and seventeen-year-old Emma. Three years later, Cass returns, without her sister Emma. Her story is one of kidnapping and betrayal, of a mysterious island where the two were held. But to forensic psychiatrist Dr. Abby Winter, something doesn't add up. Looking deep within this dysfunctional family Dr. Winter uncovers a life where boundaries were violated and a narcissistic parent held sway. And where one sister's return might just be the beginning of the crime..." [+ more]

This book didn't work for me as much as All is not forgotten did. I love cunning teenagers so I loved Cass, I just didn't fully understand why she was lying. At the end of the book is perfectly clear, though. So because I wasn't quite understanding Cass, I kind of lost interest and just wanted to know what happened to Emma and find out what was going to happen with the mother.

Maybe I was expecting a psychiatrist like the one in All is not forgotten... But I really didn't care one bit for Dr. Winter and skipped anything related to her background story.

At times I was like, "if you know your mother is like that, why do you keep loving her; or why do you care about her?" Oh! I wanted this mother to suffer.

I was expecting a little more of a plot about narcissistic personality too; like something huge to happen so everybody would know what the mother was. But that was just my ignorance about the subject. After finishing the book I think narcissism was well explored (after all this wasn't an encyclopedia of traits).

Regardless of the reasons Emma had to be the way she was, I didn't like her!

The twist was good. I was wondering what was up with Cass and that story of the island and if it was going to be left hanging. Fortunately, it was not.

What happened to Emma... I didn't see that one coming. I was convinced that both sisters ran away to punish their mother, drive crazy or something like that.

In short, sometimes a book grabs you and sometimes it doesn't; or sometimes it just grabs half of you. This is what happened with this one. I didn't love it but enjoyed it.