Search

Saturday, August 26, 2017

This is Where It Ends by Marieke Nijkamp


Rating: 4-Stars

Summary on Goodreads.

"10:00 a.m. The principal of Opportunity High School finishes her speech, welcoming the entire student body to a new semester and encouraging them to excel and achieve.

10:02 a.m. The students get up to leave the auditorium for their next class.
10:03 a.m. The auditorium doors won't open.
10:05 a.m. Someone starts shooting.
Told from four different perspectives over the span of fifty-four harrowing minutes, terror reigns as one student’s calculated revenge turns into the ultimate game of survival..." [+ more]


Is there a way to fairly portray a school shooting? Probably not as every shooter ends up killing himself. So there's really no way if telling why or how the shooter decided to do it.

I liked this book because it kept me entertained and engaged. I was ansiously reading to find out what would happened. The author doesn't. get into the how the shooter got guns and ammunition. Rather, the story takes place in the auditorium and through some flashback.

I was not happy with the death of some character because for me, I don't really see the need to willingly play the hero; especially when you are already out of the shooter's range. Maybe I read that wrong?

Anyway, this is an interesting YA that would definitively give teens something to think about.

The plot also covers LGTB but since I don't really think that is what this book is about, so I'm not going to get into that.