Search

Monday, August 28, 2017

Before I Let Go by Marieke Nijkamp


Rating: DNF

Summary on Goodreads.

"Days before Corey is to return home to the snow and ice of Lost Creek, Alaska, to visit her best friend, Kyra dies. Corey is devastated―and confused. The entire Lost community speaks in hushed tones about the town's lost daughter, saying her death was meant to be. And they push Corey away like she's a stranger. Corey knows something is wrong. Lost is keeping secrets―chilling secrets. But piecing together the truth about what happened to her best friend may prove as difficult as lighting the sky in an Alaskan winter..." [+ more]

After This Is Where It Ends, I thought I was going to like anything by Nijkamp. I was wrong. I couldn't even finish Before I Let Go. I wasn't expecting the same plot but I was expecting the same intensity.

Before I Let Go is well written, it just wasn't appealing to me. This book is about a girl (Kyra) who is dead and a friend (Corey) who goes back to town to find closure, and little by little discovers that her friend's death wasn't just an accident.

I didn't like the back and forth in time: 2 years ago; a year and a half ago.... I understand that this was done to show the type of relationship between the two friends and why Corey cared so much. But then again, Corey left town and never again communicated with Kyra which to me means that she didn't care all that much. Perhaps she was feeling guilty.

The setting is in this remote town where even Internet connection is kind of a miracle which allowed the absurdity of the plot to take place.