Search

Thursday, August 31, 2017

Beartown by Fredrik Backman


Rating: 5-Stars

Summary on Goodreads.

"People say Beartown is finished. A tiny community nestled deep in the forest, it is slowly losing ground to the ever encroaching trees. But down by the lake stands an old ice rink, built generations ago by the working men who founded this town. And in that ice rink is the reason people in Beartown believe tomorrow will be better than today. Their junior ice hockey team is about to compete in the national semi-finals, and they actually have a shot at winning. All the hopes and dreams of this place now rest on the shoulders of a handful of teenage boys..." [+ more]

Okay. What did I just read? By 25% I was wondering if there was a plot at all; a tragedy, an event; something that would need solving in this story. But 35% I didn't care anymore.

I don't know what to say about this book. That I loved it wouldn't make justice to the things this book made me feel. That is just perfect and perfectly written don't really express how perfect and wonderful and EVERYTHING this story is.

I picked this book because I liked A Man Called Ove (which has been made into a movie), but Beartown... Jesus! I don't remember reading anything like it in a while.

How many characters are in this story? A lot. And while I couldn't put up with Paula Hawkins' Into the Water because of its 10 point of views, Beartown left me wanting to know more about its people, more voices, more characters...

It took me a while to finish it because I didn't want it to really end. It put me in some sort of 'right' mood every time I read a little bit. As if the universe suddenly made sense.

I have liked many books because of the plot, the twist, the topic... but I loved this one because the way it is written. I even went to YouTube to look at hockey games to see on the screen what this book described and was making me feel. I must say, I will never watch or think of hockey the same way again.

The actual plot, the actual issue addressed here, I have read before. However, the way it is approached gave it a new meaning, a whole new perspective to me.

The book is complete. From beginning to end. I have never felt so satisfied reading a book lately.