Search

Thursday, July 27, 2017

The Bride Price by Buchi Emecheta



Rating: 4-Stars

Summary on Goodreads.

"A Nigerian girl is allowed to finish her education because a diploma will enhance her bride price, but she then rebels against traditional marriage customs..."[+]

I so enjoy book about another culture! At some point I could even identify with some of the customs described here. This book reminded me of The Secret Lives of Baba Segi's Wives which made me laugh out loud. The Bride Price cracked me a few laughs too. I was definitely cracking up with the scene at the funeral!

Full of superstitions this is another book that takes inside the world of Nigerian culture. At 15, Aku-nna is waiting to be given in marriage to the man who pays the higher bride price. The problem is that she is in love with someone else. Also, according to culture, if the man doesn't pay the bride price, the bride will die while giving birth to her first child.

So what is Aku-nna to do? And how strong is the psychological hold over the mind? Would you really die if the bride price is not paid? I guess you will have to read the book to find out!