Search

Monday, December 5, 2016

The Leaving by Tara Altebrando


Summary on Goodreads.

"Eleven years ago, six kindergarteners went missing without a trace. After all that time, the people left behind moved on, or tried to.

Until today. Today five of those kids return. They're sixteen, and they are . . . fine. Scarlett comes home and finds a mom she barely recognizes, and doesn't really recognize the person she's supposed to be, either. But she thinks she remembers Lucas. Lucas remembers Scarlett, too, except they're entirely unable to recall where they've been or what happened to them. Neither of them remember the sixth victim, Max. He doesn't come back. Everyone wants answers. Most of all Max's sister Avery, who needs to find her brother--dead or alive--and isn't buying this whole memory-loss story. "

It's not that I didn't like it; it's more that I didn't like it that much. I feel like something was missing. The concept of the plot is good and, thank God they didn't disappear because some... wait, would that be a spoiler? Then I will just say that I'm glad that they didn't disappear because of what I was thinking.

The explanation for the disappearance satisfied me and I liked the concept but there's something that I can't put my fingers on that bothers me with story.

We have different and distinct POVs, Char being the voice more different from everybody. I think that what the author did with Char, like writing in very small fonts when she was feeling suffocated, or leaving a page blank when her mind went blank was a good technique to make me feel what the character was feeling in that moment.

Overall, the book is intriguing and liked it.