Search

Friday, October 14, 2016

The Wonder by Emma Donoghue


Summary on Goodreads.

"An English nurse brought to a small Irish village to observe what appears to be a miracle-a girl said to have survived without food for months-soon finds herself fighting to save the child's life.

Tourists flock to the cabin of eleven-year-old Anna O'Donnell, who believes herself to be living off manna from heaven, and a journalist is sent to cover the sensation. Lib Wright, a veteran of Florence Nightingale's Crimean campaign, is hired to keep watch over the girl..."[+ more]

It was a hard book for me to read but I couldn't put it down. I just had to know how Anna was surviving without food! Oh, the trick...! This book is by the same author of Room which I also enjoyed. Just after I finished the book and red the commentary in the back, did I realize this was a work of historical fiction.

I loved The Wonder: the plot, the setting, the outcome, Lib (the nurse), Anna... but for some reason the book was so hard for me to read!

Was it the writing style? I don't know, but I had trouble linking one word to the next. It was as if the writing wasn't flowing. Some reviews have cataloged the story as boring, and I can say that at one point it was boring just because I couldn't get into the writing/words. Yes, it was kind of slow, but I feel that it had to be that way in order to get the ending we get.

I am amazed by this story - the idea and the development. Just when I thought there was nothing new in literature comes this story so different from thrillers, crime, and high school drama.