Search

Monday, October 3, 2016

The Call by Peadar Ó Guilín


Summary on Goodreads.

"Imagine a world where you might disappear any minute, only to find yourself alone in a grey sickly land, with more horrors in it than you would ever wish to know about. And then you hear a horn and you know that whoever lives in this hell has got your scent and the hunt has already begun. Could you survive the Call?"


This one wasn't for me. At first it was kind of difficult to get into it but then I got it. Nessa had polio and has bad legs; she also will have to fight for her life because some other race "call" humans to torture them and kill them. While this "call" lasts three minutes and four seconds on earth, in the other world is more like a day or two.

So teenagers are... abrutly raptured into this other world where they have to fight for their lives.

By half way of the book, Nessa still hadn't been "called." So all this time the story has been an introduction of different characters and Nessa training at some school to learn how to fight and survive.

I got bored of the sudden "calls." I mean, this other race were taking teenagers almost every day, yet the academy seemed to have plenty of supply. My question was, how come there were so many teens if they were being killed faster than humans could make them? By my count, in a couple of months the academy would be without kids... So these "callings" were too fast which for me, then, didn't make sense. What were they going to do when they ran out of kids?

Anyways, I didn't click with this one.