Search

Thursday, October 6, 2016

In the Country We Love: My Family Divided by Diane Guerrero


Summary on Goodreads.

"Diane Guerrero, the television actress from the megahit Orange is the New Black and Jane the Virgin, was just fourteen years old on the day her parents and brother were arrested and deported while she was at school. Born in the U.S., Guerrero was able to remain in the country and continue her education, depending on the kindness of family friends who took her in and helped her build a life and a successful acting career for herself, without the support system of her family..."[+ more]

I think this is my third celebrity book and I loved it too. At the beginning I found it cheesy; well, I still think it is a bit cheesy but that is because I read Ronda Rousey's memoir and she is tough.

As I said, first I was like "really, is this written by a child?" And when she mentioned that this book is her gift to all children of deported parents out there I was about to DNF and thought "for real girl? Are you giving them the book for free or will they have to buy it?"

But then I moved past that initial AND unexplained reaction and got to really like her story.

Unlike other celebrities, her childhood dream wasn't acting. But like other celebrities, she had it rough and survived.

I always imagined that having your parents deported must be heartbreaking, but now I really see what it does to a child. Without your parents you lose your balance. And that is what happened to Guerrero. At first she was tough but eventually hardship sucked the life out of her.

This is definitely an inspiration. Will you end up acting in two famous TV shows? Probably not. On the other hand, if that is what you really want, it might as well happen.