Search

Monday, September 26, 2016

The girl in the red coat by Kate Hamer


Summary on Goodreads.

"Carmel Wakeford becomes separated from her mother at a local children's festival, and is found by a man who claims to be her estranged grandfather. He tells her that her mother has had an accident and that she is to live with him for now. As days become weeks with her new family, 8-year-old Carmel realizes that this man believes she has a special gift...While her mother desperately tries to find her, Carmel embarks on an extraordinary journey, one that will make her question who she is - and who she might become."

Oh! I'm so mad and thankful with this book, both at the same time. I thought it was going to be a thriller that would take me into finding Carmel. Instead, it is a sad story from the POVs of the mother and the missing child. Yes, it is sad.

Carmel's disappearance is told from her side and her mother's side. It was interesting to read both accounts. I didn't totally love the book because... I don't know; maybe because I was expecting a different kind of plot to what I got.

It has a happy ending, though, for which I am thankful as I don't think my heart can take more stories of abused, missing children.