Search

Saturday, September 17, 2016

Take the fall by Emily Hainsworth


Summary on Goodreads.

"Sonia Feldman and her best friend, Gretchen Meyer, are attacked in the woods. Sonia was lucky to escape with her life, but Gretchen’s body is discovered at the bottom of a waterfall. Beautiful, popular, and seemingly untouchable, Gretchen can’t be gone. Even as Sonia struggles with guilt and confusion over having survived, the whole town is looking to her for information…could she have seen something that will lead the police to the killer?..." [+ more]

Ahhh! A YA mystery done right. Who killed Gretchen? I thought I had the criminal... and then I didn't. And then I thought I did againg but Hainsworth played me. I didn't see it coming.

I liked this book because it had me guessing, and I couldn't stop reading until I found out the truth.

It is very YA in the fact that the pretty, popular girl was really a bitch. And it was going very YA with its usual plot, but the author knew how to play it.

I thought it was going to be the usual: best friend feels guilty and wonders "why her and not me." But it wasn't like that at all.

This is more like Gone Girl than any other book that has been compared to it.

I also read some reviews complaining about the diversity in the story. Hmmm... for me it was fine. The story was set in a small town that could have affluent residents, thus people from different nationalities living there. Marcus himself came from a rich family. Immigrants don't necessary have to work in factories (as it was suggested in a blog). So I don't see why diversity in this story was unbelievable. Unless... the story took place in Salt Lake City?