Search

Friday, August 5, 2016

Mammoth by Douglas Perry


Summary on Goodreads.

"Mammoth View, California is hit with the news of an attack on a summer morning. It s not clear what happened, but it s bad. And it s not over. As residents panic and leave town, the police chief and his deputy set off into the woods to investigate. The campsite attack is the perfect coincidence for Billy Lane. Looking for the biggest score of his career, he s targeted the local bank. The robbery does not go well and the aftermath goes even worse. Over the next twenty-four hours, chaos descends on Mammoth View. What really happened at that campsite outside of town?"

I couldn't get into it. The writing style was fine and I liked it; I think it was the excessive background/history of the characters that lost me.

During a bank robbery that went surprisingly easy, the town is emptied. People just left or were evacuated because... what exactly? I don't know. Was it an alien invasion, a coup, a zombie attack? I really don't know and I felt that the "mystery" that the author was creating around it was just dragging.

At 50% the story is not really about why people were leaving town or what was going on in town but the lives of some characters (Tori, a runner; Billy, Tori's father and the bank's robber, and two police officers). The story would go back in time to when Billy did this and that, had this or that girlfriend, and so on. I lost interest.

Perhaps the story is really about the lives of these characters and not really what was going on in town. In any case, I became disinterested in finding out the reason the town was suddenly empty.

Thank you Netgalley for providing me with a free copy of this title.