Search

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Look Past by Eric Devine


Summary on Goodreads.

"Someone brutally murdered Mary Mathison, daughter of a prominent and very conservative local pastor. Whoever it was is now taunting Avery, a transgender boy, with disturbing messages, claiming that Mary’s murder was revenge for her relationship with Avery. The killer’s demands are simple and horrific: Avery must repent for changing his gender identity, or he will be the next one killed. Can Avery deny who he is to catch Mary’s killer? Or will sacrificing himself be the ultimate betrayal?"

I absolutely loved this book. I read The trans-fer student by Elise Himes but the issue was portrayed so lightly that I didn't care and didn't like it.

The main issue here isn't Avery coming to terms with her gender but the mystery of a murder and other people accepting Avery as the boy she feels she is.

This book is heavy on religious zealot. The mystery was well developed and the author didn't hold gruesome details back.

What I liked most is that Avery and his friends didn't try to solve the murder by themselves (as YA authors tend to do).

Thisbook is very real in portraying acceptance and hate towards transgenders. I personally wouldn't know, but I know that in life not everything is black and white and that is what we get here.

Thanks Netgalley for providing me with a free copy of this title.