Search

Friday, July 22, 2016

Method 15/33 by Shannon Kirk

Summary on Goodreads.

"Imagine a helpless, pregnant 16-year-old who's just been yanked from the serenity of her home and shoved into a dirty van. Kidnapped Alone Terrified.

Now forget her ...

Picture instead a pregnant, 16-year-old, manipulative prodigy. She is shoved into a dirty van and, from the first moment of her kidnapping, feels a calm desire for two things: to save her unborn son and to exact merciless revenge.

She is methodical, calculating, scientific in her plotting. A clinical sociopath? Leaving nothing to chance, secure in her timing and practice, she waits for the perfect moment to strike. "Method 15/33" is what happens when the victim is just as cold as the captors."


This is an unusual book because instead of focusing on the kidnapper doing things to the victim, it is about the victim and the things she will do to her kidnapper. Very interested plot indeed.

Based on 5 stars, I will take one star away because of dragging. Yes, I felt the story dragged too much. MC (kidnapped girl) would go on and on about her plan. As she herself said at one point, she could have escaped sooner, but she waited 33 days because (otherwise it would had been a very short book!).

I will take away another star because of the background on the FBI agents. I understand that some other character should be included in the story to give the story a decent length, but I was bored with the FBI plot.

I will also take another star away because of the writing in general. For some reason, the writing was kind of redundant. Unless it is Jose Saramago, this repetitive writing doesn't work for me. Another thing that didn't work for was the first person narration. The story started with "I..." and she is telling what happened 17 years ago. Well, I already know that she is very much alive and kicking it; so, somehow, knowing that she had made it, took away some of the curiosity.

I did like MC and his methodical mind. I liked that she didn't freak out, didn't beg, and didn't cry. She simply plot her revenge.

If you want to read something different, this book is for you!

Thank you Netgalley for providing me with a free copy of this title.