Search

Friday, July 15, 2016

Highly Illogical Behavior by John Corey Whaley


Summary on Goodreads.

"Sixteen-year-old Solomon is agoraphobic. He hasn’t left the house in three years, which is fine by him. Ambitious Lisa desperately wants to get into the second-best psychology program for college (she’s being realistic). But is ambition alone enough to get her in?

Enter Lisa.

Determined to “fix” Sol, Lisa steps into his world, along with her charming boyfriend, Clark, and soon the three form an unexpected bond. But, as Lisa learns more about Sol and he and Clark grow closer and closer, the walls they’ve built around themselves start to collapse and their friendships threaten to do the same."

I read it in one sitting and, for the most part, I liked it. I totally understand why Lisa did what she did; I don't know why they had to tell Solomon, though. I mean, they ended up really liking him so, for me, there was no need to bring up why they became friends. But that's me.

I found Clark's reasons not to have sex very... Unbelievable, but I do appreciate that this books teaches about waiting rather than all teenagers have sex and go to parties where they do stupid things.

I enjoyed Solomon's parts a lot more than Lisa's, but I liked that Lisa was real. She wanted to be the best and she owned that.

Clark was there... but his character was never that important; actually, his character was never explored.

At the end, this was a light and quick read that I enjoyed because of the lack of YA drama (parties, smoking, sex, drinking, and bitching).

I wanted more of Solomon... but I got what I got :-)