Search

Thursday, February 4, 2016

Insomnia by J. R. Johansson



Summary on Goodreads.
Title: Insomnia (The Night Walkers, #1)
Rating: 2-Stars

"After four years of sleeplessness, high school junior Parker Chipp can't take much more. Every night, instead of sleeping, he enters the dreams of the last person he's made eye contact with. If he doesn't sleep soon, Parker will die.

Then he meets Mia. Her dreams, calm and beautifully uncomplicated, allow him blissful rest that is utterly addictive. But what starts out as a chance meeting turns into an obsession; Parker's furious desire for what he needs pushes him to extremes he never thought he'd go. And when someone begins to terrorizing Mia with twisted death threats, Parker's memory blackouts leave him doubting his own innocence."

Decent, original idea. But I had three issues with the plot.

So, Parker lives the dream of the last person he makes eye contact with before going to sleep. Cool! But:

1) What about sleeping in the afternoon? Parker hasn't slept in four years which means that his brain is about to give up and Parker is going to die. What I didn't get was, why couldn't parker nap in the afternoons? Oh! Once he told his friends about this curse, they found a way for him to sleep for half an hour between classes. I just don't get why the hell he couldn't sleep in the afternoon and then be the darn Watcher at night!?

2) The villain, as always, came out of no where. All of the sudden there was this guy who had an inferiority complex that never manifested until it was time to solve the plot.

3) When Parker told his friends about his condition, he had to tell his friends about their previous dreams so they could believe him. For instance, before telling Addie, he watched her dreams for a few days and then told her what she dreamed of. My issue here is, who remembers what they dreamed of three nights ago, not to mention six years ago? Because Parker told Finn about dreams Finn had had six months ago! And Finn was like, "dude! how do you know that?!" Really, Finn? You remembered what you dreamed of six months ago? I can barely put together my dream from last night!!!

Now, is not like I don't have a general sense of what I dreamed last year. For instance, I know that couple of times in 2015 I dreamed of making out with Channing Tatum, but the specifics of those dreams? Nah! But here, this teenagers were able to remember what they dreamed a year and six months ago. So for me, that was so unbelievable that I just rolled my eyes and kept on.