Search

Saturday, December 5, 2015

The Sand Prince by Kim Alexander


Summary on Goodreads.

Purchase on Amazon

The Sand Prince (The Demon Door, #1 or Powers of the Air, #1)

"Rhuun, the Prince of Eriis, uncovers a sultry book written by a human, sparking an obsession with the other world. When he is forced to flee Eriis, he must travel through The Door or pay the price in blood.

Divided by a door


The humans of Mistra are not what Rhuun was expecting—and one insufferable young woman in particular is about to find out that the demons of Eriis are not mythological after all...
"

Well, on Goodreads, this series is called Powers of the Air, and on Amazon is called The Demon Door. Soo.... I don't know what name is going to stick.

Anyway, for once, I agree with the majority of bloggers who had DNF this book.

Up to 20% I was really liking the story. After that, it became monotonous and I lost interest.

So there's a door separating the world of humans and... the other kind with magical powers. The door is closed by humans and only human blood can open it. Rhuun is "ugly" and has no magical powers but I never felt sad for him. You are different, snap out of it. For no reason he wants to go to the human world to live an adventure.

Suddenly, I'm presented with new characters in the human world. Characters that right now had nothing to do with the story but that later on will become part of it, no doubt. Unfortunately, I did not get interested in these new characters.

The only thing I was liking was Hellne, the Queen. Every other character was uninteresting. The world building or Eriis was interesting too and I liked it.

I think that what got me lost was the jumping in time and having to become familiar with new characters out of the blue.

For instance, I would be reading a scene when Rhuun was 20 years old, and then a new chapter would be when he was 14. The back and forth in time was not quite working for me.

I also think that the story in general became too trivial and a lot of blah blah blah dialogue was going on.

Thank you Netgalley for providing me with a free copy of this title.