Search

Friday, December 25, 2015

Blood Trails:Follow Your Medical Lab Work From Beginning To End With Everything That Can Go Wrong In Between by Dr. Ralph Giorno


Summary on Goodreads.

Buy from Amazon.

"Blood Trails offers in depth understanding of things that can go wrong with every medical laboratory test. Blood Trails focuses on high volume tests such as TSH, potassium, Vitamin B12 and Vitamin D and other tests to provide detailed analyses of issues specifically pertaining to those tests..." [more +]

Well, way to make a woman paranoid about blood tests Dr. Giorno. I had never paid much mind to the way blood tests are handle, although I had thought about the effectiveness of storing blood samples in those containers outside medical offices. Alas! Here is my answer.

This book offers little hope in terms of the validity and accuracy of blood tests. However, they must be done.

Things I will have to consider when getting future blood tests after reading this book:

1. What time of the day should I get my blood drawn for optimal results?
2. Did I have a restful, good night of sleep?
3. Did the blood drawer wait for the alcohol used to disinfect the area to dry before drawing?
4. Did the drawer ask me to flinch my fist?
5. Did the drawer use one of those butterfly needles?
6. Was blood drawn from my arm or my hand?
7. Did the blood drawer place the tub straight, upside? Or did he carelessly place it vertically on the table?
8. Did the blood drawer fill the tubs in the right order?
9. Were the tubs filled to the mark, or were they under filled?
10. Was my sample waiting in that little box outside the medical office in cold/hot weather?
11. How long has my sample being waiting in that box?
12. When did my sample actually make it to the lab?
13. Did they spin my sample at the right speed?
14. Did the lab use a FDA approved machine?
15. Did somebody actually check the results or was it just all computer generated?
16. Is my doctor looking at me or writing in the computer?
17. Have I been over or under diagnosed?

I think those 17 are enough to make me crazy. I will carry this list with me to my next testing.

By all means, do read the book and discover how your lab work can (and will) go wrong.

Thank you Netgalley for providing me with a copy of this title.