Search

Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Z is for Zachariah by Robert C. O'Brien


Summary on Goodreads.

"Ann Burden is sixteen years old and completely alone. The world as she once knew it is gone, ravaged by a nuclear war that has taken everyone from her. For the past year, she has lived in a remote valley with no evidence of any other survivors.

But the smoke from a distant campfire shatters Ann's solitude. Someone else is still alive and making his way toward the valley. Who is this man? What does he want? Can he be trusted?..." [more +]

Well, first, I have no idea why this book is titled Z for Zachariah because I never found the character with that name.

I think this review will have spoilers so stop if you don't want the story spoiled for you.

I like the story and the plot but I felt that more could have been done with it.

The pace is very slow but somehow I was okay with it. What I was not okay with was Anne's servitude to Mr. Loomis. Why did you keep providing for him after he wanted to rape you?

Okay, religion plays a big part in Anne's character, but the Bible also says "an eye for an eye." Maybe not kill the guy, but let him tend to himself and hopefully he would die in the process.

But maybe Anne didn't really want to be alone anymore and she thought that eventually, Mr. Loomis would come to his senses and they could both repopulate earth like Adan and Eve?

Another question, was the entire planet destroyed or just the U.S.? I kept reading "the world" and "the planet" but it never made references to other countries.

Anne is incredibly smart and I loved that. But she also was an one goody-goody dimensional character that didn't show any type of emotions. She does talk about loosing her family, but I never felt any real feelings there.

Mr. Loomis... A very interesting psycho that we only see from Anne's point of view. So I never knew who he really was.

The end is completely annoying and exasperating because Anne never grew as a person. She presented herself to Mr. Loomis for him to decide to kill her or letter go. So I guess that Anne's survival instincts were off while Mr. Loomis' were spot on.

Nevertheless, the book is a slow but interesting take on survival when you are the only person alive on the planet... or the United States.