Search

Monday, November 2, 2015

Mini Reviews: Half of a Yellow Sun - Flesh and Blood - The Shuddering



Flesh and Blood (Red Eye, #3) by Simon Cheshire

Rating: 4-Stars

Summary: I must record the facts that have led me to where I am now. So that, when someone reads this, they understand. Sam Hunter's neighbours are pillars of the community, the most influential people in town. But they're liars too. The Greenhills are hiding something and Sam's determined to find out what it is. As his investigation unfolds, he realizes the lies reach further than he ever imagined - is there anyone he can trust? Uncovering the horror is one thing ...escaping is another.

My Take: I quite enjoyed Sam's character and the way his mind though. He rationalized things in a very teen way (in my opinion). I felt that I was actually reading something written by a teenager, finally! 

Flesh and Blood is the third book as part of a YA series called Red Eye; I had no idea :-)

Why I loved this book? Well, because Sam was a believable teenager for me. This series is supposed to horror and the book should creep you out and all that, but none of that happened to me. 


The Shuddering by Ania Ahlborn

Rating: DNF

SummaryRyan Adler and his twin sister, Jane, spent their happiest childhood days at their parents' mountain Colorado cabin - until divorce tore their family apart. Now, with the house about to be sold, the Adler twins gather with their closest friends for one last snowboarding-filled holiday. While commitment-phobic Ryan gazes longingly at Lauren, wondering if his playboy days are over, Jane's hopes of reconciling with her old boyfriend evaporate when he brings along his new fiancée. As drama builds among the friends, something lurks in the forest, watching the cabin, growing ever bolder as the snow falls - and hunger rises. After a blizzard leaves the group stranded, the true test of their love and loyalty begins as the hideous creatures outside close in, one bloody attack at a time. Now Ryan, Jane, and their friends must fight - tooth and nail, bullet and blade - for their lives. Or else surrender to unspeakable deaths in the darkened woods.

My take: I loved Ahlborn's Brother but this one I couldn't finish. The beginning is fast pace with Dom running from some creatures but I got bored with the almost-got-him-but-then-didn't. You know, where the character is always almost caught and at the last minute he is not? Well, the beginning was dragging like that.

Then we have four beautiful and some rich people come this place for a vacation where these things come out to eat people (or something like that).

At 50% I was tired of reading about these four characters that I had no interested in whatsoever. So I stopped reading because I really didn't care if they were eaten alive, mutilated, or whatever.



Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Rating: 3-Stars

Summary: With effortless grace, celebrated author Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie illuminates a seminal moment in modern African history: Biafra's impassioned struggle to establish an independent republic in southeastern Nigeria during the late 1960s. We experience this tumultuous decade alongside five unforgettable characters: Ugwu, a thirteen-year-old houseboy who works for Odenigbo, a university professor full of revolutionary zeal; Olanna, the professor’s beautiful young mistress who has abandoned her life in Lagos for a dusty town and her lover’s charm; and Richard, a shy young Englishman infatuated with Olanna’s willful twin sister Kainene. Half of a Yellow Sun is a tremendously evocative novel of the promise, hope, and disappointment of the Biafran war.

My take: I found it to be too long, so I got bored (at times) and skipped pages. I was wondering how Ugwu learned to do all the things he did (turn a stove on, clean a bathroom, etc.) because he came from a village where... well, he had never seen modern life or civilization. 

I wonder these things because at the beginning of the story Ugwu was surprised with the size of the apartment, the white floors, didn't know how to open a faucet... So I expected to learn along with Ugwu how things worked. Instead, the story jumped to three weeks after and apparently, Ugwu (somehow learned) already knew how to do things.

Besides that, the story was interesting at times. For me it was too long and I lost interest, but a good piece of writing nonetheless.