Search

Thursday, November 26, 2015

Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff


Summary on Goodreads.

"This morning, Kady thought breaking up with Ezra was the hardest thing she’d have to do.

This afternoon, her planet was invaded.

The year is 2575, and two rival megacorporations are at war over a planet that’s little more than an ice-covered speck at the edge of the universe. Too bad nobody thought to warn the people living on it. With enemy fire raining down on them, Kady and Ezra..." [more +].


Well, I must say that the way this book is written is just genius. The story and plot doesn't follow your standard, traditionally narrative. No sir, this one is written exactly as the summary says: a dossier of hacked documents—including emails, schematics, military files, IMs, medical reports, interviews, and more.

That means, that the authors don't need to describe things in the traditional way of "the mountains seemed far away, yet I could make the distinct green of the trees..." because that bullshit narrative is not needed here.

For instance, we get a medical report on Kady where it technically debriefs her: She is more capable than her tests results indicate; does not work well with others; questions authority. There. So simple and without the need of the author to write harmonically about her.

Does this new book format works? For many bloggers it has. Many people just loved the random emails, medical reports, and drawings. Me? Nah! I could do with less documents.

I was digging the interview format, though. Yes, it was fun reading the story that way, but then I got this "Network Security Incident Report" that tells me absolutely nothing and some other random documents inserted that makes the book unnecessary big and damn heavy to carry around.

Our two love birds (well, ex, since they broke even before the beginning of the book) communicate through emails (so far). These emails rambling don't do anything to hold my interest so I skipped them (and therefore missing valuable information that would make me connect with the characters, no doubt).

Can you believe that pages 52 - 63 is an actual list of confirmed casualties? With pictures and all!! Like I'm going to take the time to go through the list of dead people to see if anyone I recognize is there...!? Wow! I hope MY name is not there. Where did they come up with those names? From Brunce Lanky's 60,000 Baby Names book? Or did they purchase a random list from those companies eager to sell your info?

Are the blank black pages of the book supposed to give me an idea of how the universe looked? Empty, dark...

I'm going to stop here. I am sure that there must be some great plot in there but I can't stomach this book any further. Definitely not for me. I loved Kaufman's These Broken Stars, though.