Search

Wednesday, October 28, 2015

The Truth by Jeffry W. Johnston


Summary on Goodreads.

Available February 2, 2016

Buy from Amazon

"When Chris wakes up tied to a chair in a dark basement, he knows that he's trapped—and why. He shot and killed Derek's little brother. He had his reasons, but no matter how far Derek goes to uncover the truth about that night, Chris's story won't change. It can't. There is far too much..." [more +]

I cannot say that I didn't like it, but I can't say I like it either. I like that it is a book for boys (we need more of those). I guess this book kind of shows you how the system (life) can mess up sometimes.

It deals with issues of abandonment (as in the father preferring one sibling over the other) and it is very heavy on sibling responsibility. Actually, I felt kind of exasperated with Chris' mom and Chris himself because everything revolved around Chris' brother. Chris gave up his dreams/life to take care of his brother. Well, hello! That's what you mother is for!!

I found kind of absurd that a boy is kidnapped and the police was never involved. Well, maybe Chris told Derek the whole story in two hours? Derek was a very exasperating character. A lot of threads about cutting fingers and never actually did something.

The end was interesting because it aroused some questions that I cannot post because it would give away the plot.

Over all, I didn't find any connection with the characters. Derek's kidnapping of Chris served like a kind of therapy for Chris to come to terms with his father's dead and his feelings. It also served as therapy for Derek so, there, some psychologist just lost two clients.

The story got boring at times with Derek insistence of wanting to know the truth. Hmm? I got it the first time, Chris was to tell you the truth. 

Thank you Netgalley for providing me with a free copy of this title.