Search

Saturday, October 3, 2015

Come Sit By Me by Thomas Hoobler

Summary on Goodreads.

I think that losing yoir virginity at prom is a cliche that we should not encourage any more. I read about teens in YA books and it all revolves around the same old concept of prom, virginity, and sex. Perhaps in our society is not possible to write about YA without covering the same old prom pressure, virginity shame, and traditional sex on prom night. I'm sure authors can move past that already.

I loved this book in every little detail. Call it coincidence that I started reading it a day before the shooting of Oregon Community College.

I liked that Come Sit By Me gave me more on what've always wondered about mass murderers. Well, the book didn't answer specific questions, but it did gave me a nice and interesting look into the mind of a person who does something like that. Those killers out there must have their own unjustified reasons, I just found this book went a little deeper on the subject.

Hoobler did a wonderful, wonderful job. He doesn't uses words necessarily and everything is said in a smooth way that ate its way to my heart.

I didn't like the ending of the story because I don't think that covering the truth is ever right. Who am I to judge? But North was the way he was because of his father, so I wanted his father to be accounted for his actions.

I was reading that the name of the killer at Oregon Community College wasn't worth saying but, would you clean up the name of a killer if it turned out to be a reason?

This book also depicted what we see in the news when a tragedy like this happens: everybody who died was almost a saint. Well, it is never good to speak ill of the dead, right? I wonder if journalism would one day turn around to be less compromising.

Back to Come Sit By Me, I loved everything but the cliched sex at prom (maybe because I just think is time YA moves on), and how we, the reader, know about Caleb, the killer, but other people in the story didn't.

Lastly, Paul did take justice on his own which, in this case, didn't seem fit to me.

In all, this is a powerful story that will give you something new to think about.

I read a blogger write that the author exploited a school shooting to write this story. That makes think, when authors write about zombies, vampires, a plane crash, rape, kidnapping, and so on, what exactly are they exploiting? I wish more YA based on real events were written rather than the usual bs about vampires, ghosts, and angels.

This book portrayed real teenagers (at least the teens I know). Real reactions to a tragedy, and I a disturbed mind that didn't received the help needed but, as we know, schools have thousands of students and just go through the motion of "counseling" without really doing anything substantial.

Thank you Netgalley for providing me with a free copy of this title.