Search

Thursday, October 8, 2015

Brother by Ania Ahlborn

Summary on Goodreads.

Buy from Amazon

"Deep in the heart of Appalachia stands a crooked farmhouse miles from any road. The Morrows keep to themselves, and it’s served them well so far. When girls go missing off the side of the highway, the cops don’t knock on their door. Which is a good thing, seeing as to what’s buried in the Morrows’ backyard..." More [+]

Holy fuck!! This book is just... brutal, cruel, sad, and infuriating. If you are squeamish, one of those people that get offended by the vivid description of violence and misery, and think that some scenes are better left out, then PLEASE don't read this book. Because it would definitely "offend" you (as people seem to be offended by everything and anything nowadays).

Horror, yes, this is horror. Ahlborn explores the effect of systematic psychological abuse almost to perfection.

Ray and Michael are brothers, but while Ray is full psychopath and enjoys it, Michael is a coward afraid of even speaking up. Mind you, supposedly he took it all in because he was protecting his sister, but I just couldn't stand him. I very much prefer a crazy killer with the guts to own his craziness than a wimp.

Michael was weak, and even though he gave the reasons for his lack of personality, I couldn't like him. Maybe it is because I personally prefer characters with personality than the weak ones that become heroes at the end. The writing here is just exceptional. I swear I was living in that mountain, in that crazy house.

Ray and Michael were so well developed that they will remain in my head for a long time. The twist was equally cruel. And although I had preferred to see the bad guys suffer (kind of like that movie I spit on your grave, I guess the way the story ended could give room to write another book about Claudine and Wade.

The story is so so sad and grim that my heart aches. Whatever it takes to write this way, Ahlborn has it. Now, I will just to read her other books.

Thank you Netgalley for providing me with a free copy of this title.