Search

Sunday, September 13, 2015

Try not to Breath by Holly Seddon


Summary on Goodreads.

This title will be available on February 16, 2016.

Order from Amazon.

I just loved it. As I read about Alex it reminded me of Rachel in The Girl on the Train because the main characters are both alcoholic, thus unreliable. But in this book, Alex was what I'd call a 'conscious alcoholic.' That is, she knew she drank and would do all her work before 12:00 pm because at that time, she would lock herself up at home to drink. She would do this to avoid embarrassing situations like passing out in pubs and sleeping around... and she wasn't interested in changing her life. Alex was also divorced and would call her ex (Matt) for "help" and I would be all like, "come on, that excuse again?"

What I loved most was the new take (for me) about people on vegetative state.

From the summary, you know that 15 years old Amy was attacked and has being in comma for 15 years. Then come Alex writing a newspaper piece on this condition and sees Amy. From there, Alex's life started to change and she unfolds Amy's last hours and what happened to her.

The story is told in different POVs, and what I just loved Amy's POV. It reminded me of If I stay by Gayle Forman. By while Mia bored me to death with her should-I-stay-or-should-I-go thoughts, Amy's made me want to know more.

The story could be considered slow paced, but for me, it worked this way. I just enjoyed each minute of it.

Thank you Netgalley for providing me with this free copy.