Search

Sunday, September 20, 2015

The Dead House by Dawn Kurtagich


Summary on Goodreads.

Buy on Amazon

It reminded of the book What's left of me by Kat Zhang but way more interesting. The Dead House it is also about two souls in one body, but here, instead of some dystopia, it is contemporary and the character is treated by a multiple personalities disorder condition.

To be true, I just loved this first part. The bad part is that half way through the book, it seems to me that the author didn't know what to do with the story and mixed it up with some witchcraft, magic, voodoo, Mala-Grúndi thing.

So the story was going fine and dandy until apparently, an evil force has taken one of the souls and now we only have one body and one soul. There's an evil force that needs to be fought, people have to die because of this, and Kaitlyn/Carly... Well, you'll have to read that.

Chilling and creepy, the story was not (for me). Compelling, yes, the first half of the book; it was pretty cool and interesting (psychologically speaking). It is the second half that bored me.

The format the book is written (like police records, psychiatric reports, transcripts of video footage and diary fragments) is pretty cool too and it would make for an interesting movie.

I think I always give any book with a good first half and a crappy second half 3 stars, ha ha ha!

Thank you Netgalley for providing me with an advanced copy of this title.