Search

Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys


Summary on Goodreads.

This title will be available on February 2, 2016 on Amazon.

"In 1945, World War II is drawing to a close in East Prussia, and thousands of refugees are on a desperate trek toward freedom, almost all of them with something to hide. Among them are Joana, Emilia, and Florian, whose paths converge en route to the ship that promises salvation, the Wilhelm Gustloff. Forced by circumstance to unite, the three find their strength, courage, and trust in each other tested with each step closer toward safety..." more [+]

What to say about this book? That I just LOVED it. I had read Sepetys' other book, Between Shades of Gray and liked it, but I would say that Between Shades of Gray was just a writing practice because Sepetys went a lot deeper in her writing this time.

The story is told in 4 POVs. I enjoyed each one of the POV; each was distinct and sometimes one POV would take where the other left. How to explain the exquisite form this book was written? All in all, I enjoyed Alfred, the sailor, the most.

I really wish this book was made into a movie. The sinking of the ship would definitely provide for scenes of Titanic proportions.

The work that Sepetys must have put into her research for this piece of historical fiction must have been incredible. I was so immerse that I lost touch with reality and was literally living in that period.

Sepetys has become one of my favorite historical fiction authors. Salt to the Sea filled me with emotions and its ending (thank God) left me completely satisfied.

Okay, I'm gonna stop now because there's nothing I can say that would make justice to this super, incredible, wonderful book.

Thank you Netgalley for providing me with a copy of this title.