Search

Thursday, May 28, 2015

The Living by Matt de la Pena


Summary on Goodreads.

I'm surprised with this YA. It took 110 pages of setting the... scene (I guess) before the earthquake finally happened. Usually, YA gets right into it with less blah blah blah and adds things as the story develops. Nice change though.

Are rich people really obnoxiously dense? That's kind of what I'm getting here. And apparently, rich people on a cruise like to introduce themselves to the staff. A lot. Oh! and casually mention where they got their money from (of course, there might be a reason for this here that I'm not seeing just yet... but most likely not).

Nice romance; thank God no insta love. Carmen seems to be the most beautiful Mexican American girl to ever have existed though, and white chicks come close but can't compete. Fortunately, Carmen acts as if she doesn't know she is beautiful (now this is the usual predictable YA I was missing earlier).

I can't connect with Shy, the story, and the plot. I expected this to be more... about a disaster/survival story, and it is not. For some reason I can't stand Carmen.

The second book is already out but I won't be reading it. This book didn't hook my interest.