Search

Monday, March 9, 2015

The Good Girl by Mary Kubica

Summary on Goodreads.

It is really not fair to compare books that have nothing in common. Why would you bastards say that this book is like Gone Girl if it is NOT? Just to make me buy it?

Okay, I didn't expect it to be like Gone Girl at all, but I did expect a wicked character. At 75% I am not getting that; even more, I'm not interested in finding out if good girl Mia is, in fact, a good girl or a Gone Girl wanna be.

This book is so tedious that I don't care!!!

It is written in different POVs: Mia's mom, Gabe the detective, and Colin the kidnapper. So we go back and forth before and after the kidnapping through the voices of all these characters; however, Mia's own POV was never present. I got to know Mia from what others said. Not a big problem, really; but it didn't work out for me here.

My problem with the story is that by the second chapter Mia comes home!! Well, for me, part of the reason for reading this book was to know what happened to her. I'm not saying that the plot didn't work that way, it just didn't work for me. As soon as I knew Mia was back I lost interest. What was there left? Well, yes, I still needed to know why and how she made it back. But really, I didn't care. She was back, period.

Also, I absolutely abhor amnesia in plots. Although I have to admit that I don't know if Mia's amnesia was fake because I DNF the book before it induced an acute case of amnesia on myself... If so, this could be the reason why the book is called The Good Girl: a rich girl falling for her kidnapper and faking amnesia to save him.

The writing is good, yes, but for some reason it bored me. So...