Search

Friday, March 27, 2015

Cut me free by J. R. Johansson

Summary on Goodreads.

Do authors read their books after they finish it? Because if Johansson had read this book, she/he would have realized how pathetic this attempt to a thriller is.

And how old is Cam, the male MC? I don't know, but by the way he acts I would say he must be in his 30s, yet, he falls in love with Piper who is.... (music please) 17!!!

I'm gonna leave the pathetic romance boarding in pedophilia alone.

Now, Charlotte was raised in an attic pretty much Flowers in the Attic style. Yet, not only she learned to read all by herself, but once she escaped she turned out to be pretty savvy. She knows how to read people, that she needs a new identity (and I don't mean just cutting and dying her hair), that she needs to be on the run... but she doesn't seem to know that just being 17 means that you could go to the police.

Oh no, smart Charlotte has the audacity of stealing her parents money to run away.

Now, Charlotte was in the attic with her little brother who died. His death is dragged all throughout the story as Charlotte, every few lines, remembers that "he is dead because of me. It should've been me." I mean, come oooonnn!!! I got it the first 10 times.

On top of fending for herself, Charlotte saves a little girl from a bad man (yes, all by herself). And, since we are at it, she takes the girl in. You know, it is just normal after all for a 17-year-old girl to raise a nine year old all by herself. Even more normal is to get said 9-year-old a false identity and register her into school.

Now, there is some creepy pervert after Charlotte, and, as it is to be expected, she saves the day all by herself. Isn't it just marvelous for a girl raised in an attic to become Xena?

I'm not even going to comment on the stupidity of the manager of the restaurant helping the perv to get the little girl back because he told her that Charlotte was trafficking children, and she believed him!!! HELLO, WHAT IS THE POLICE FOR?

Okay, all in all the idea of a girl escaping and trying to survive is a good one. However I never believed Charlotte. Yes, she said that X and X happened to her; she acted shy and awry of people; she avoided human contact... but she was too damn smart for someone raised in captivity.

I never felt sorry for her because I never felt her pain. And Cam, you are a pervert; get someone your own age.

Oh! But by the end of the book Charlotte loves him! Wasn't that fast for someone who had been tortured for, like, ten years?

And did I mention that Cam's love interest in Charlotte came out of no where? Really.

I also noticed that everything was conveniently close: Charlotte's apartment to the restaurant she was working at, to Cam's studio, to where the little girl was being kept captive... all within blocks.

Convenient pathetic crap.