Search

Friday, February 6, 2015

We were liars by E. Lockhart

Summary on Goodreads.

I didn't hate it but I didn't love it either. I hate stories about amnesia because, predictably, the character remembers everything at the end. This book was like that but I didn't see it coming.

When Cady can't remember why she was found on the beach, I didn't see the predictable amnesia twist creeping up on me. Well, maybe because it wasn't totally predictable, or maybe I wasn't paying enough attention. Whatever, the story grew on me.

I don't entirely
love this writing style. I don't
understand
why the sentences
have to be broken
just like this.

So I just skipped that. Oh! I also skipped Cady's made up stories. Useless. Really.

I didn't get Cady's random acts of charity either; but whatever. Again.

The romance was sweet. Really, nothing overly done.

The adults are fighting over their inheritance. Suddenly, the patriarch feels his daughters don't deserve to inherit his money because they haven't worked hard enough for it. Well, did you teach them differently when growing up?

One of the daughters feel she deserves more because she kind of took care of their mother when mom was sick. Well, with all that money they could had hired a nurse and period.

I didn't see the ending coming. At all. In my defense, I've been down with a stomach virus :-)

Since I wasn't expecting the ending, it did took me by surprise but that doesn't mean I entirely liked it. I feel tricked. Lockhart threw ghosts at me without warning. Thank God the ghosts weren't obvious. As in, "what was that?"

So yeah... it was sweet. Not a complicated heavy plot but something easy to follow. I didn't see it as rich white people problems as other bloggers say. Just a summer tragedy.