Search

Friday, January 9, 2015

This Shattered World (Starbound #2) by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner

Summary on Goodreads.

I might be the only one who didn't like this book (after loving the first one).

I knew Tarver and Lilac wouldn't be here; and I was really digging Chase and Flynn but, you see, from the very beginning I had a problem with Chase being the ultimate soldier... at 17.

Really, Lee Chase was like... God walking on earth, and she being so young and all... I just didn't buy it.

I was completely invested in the story until I got bored somewhere around the middle of the book. Why? Well, because our characters here were completely black and white/good and bad.

For instance, McBride. He was a bad seed from the beginning and I saw his foul play coming, but come on! Give me something to wonder here.

I don't know how, where, or when Lee learned to be better than The Rock, but whatever.

I like than instead of being about people (and eexploitingTarver and Lilac until the end) this series is more about a planet, or these beings of light. We get different stories around the same topic. Very clever indeed.

At some point, Lilac and Tarver made it back into the story but I felt I wasn't reading my Lilac and Tarver at all. They sounded more like grandparents that the two awesome teens from the first book.

In short, I found the first half of the book to be pretty strong but something happened in the second half that made me roll my eyes, look for a gun to shoot the book, and stop caring about it all.