Search

Monday, December 29, 2014

Above by Isla Morley

Summary on Goodreads.

Another insipid story. I guess it wanted to be a cross between that book Room (or is it The Room?) and Gated by Christine Parker. Anyway, the second half of the book is really, really horrible. So the kidnapper did her a favor after all?

It was never explained why this man thought the end of the world was coming? Was it religious fanaticism? Were there others like him?

The first part of the book is spent below. It wasn't all that bad but it was tedious and I just wanted it to end. The way things were written didn't make me connect with Blythe or her situation. To make time pass and move on to the 17 years after the abduction, Dobbs, the kidnapper, would disappear on trips. I guess the author didn't have anything to fill the pages with if Dobbs were actually there.

The second half of the book is the part after the escape and it is spent above. The author made this part slowly confusing and never-ending. I think that after 17 years of imprisonment, I want my victim to receive justice and be validated. Instead, I got like a different story line. It was as if the author didn't know how to finish the book.