Search

Monday, October 6, 2014

Another Little Piece by Kate Karyus Quinn

Summary on Goodreads.

"On a cool autumn night, Annaliese Rose Gordon stumbled out of the woods and into a high school party. She was screaming. Drenched in blood. Then she vanished.

A year later, Annaliese is found wandering down a road hundreds of miles away. She doesn't know who she is. She doesn't know how she got there. She only knows one thing: She is not the real Annaliese Rose Gordon..."

By page 150 I had figured out what happened with/to Annaliese. I struggled with the rest (250+ pages); it escapes me why it needed to be so long.

The story is told in pieces (hence the title?) now reality, now past, now vision, now dream that didn't work out for me.

Karyus has a strong writing and superb imagination and her second book, Don't you forget about me is a proof of that. It's just that she seems to favor telling a story in a very complicated way that some readers find fascinating and I find irritating: a little bit now and a little bit later.

Oh! The poem at the beginning of each chapter are just lame and a waste of paper. Why do authors need to include their "beautiful" poetry within a story? Ohhh! I know, because otherwise nobody would read/buy them.

Dex: I'm already so bored with this book dragging so much that I can't appreciate him so I skipped most of the pages of him and Annaliese together.

I wasn't at all interested in reading Annaliese's past lives. I already knew what was coming, plus I didn't have the energy to become emotionally invested in new characters. Nonchalant Annaliese was enough.

The ending: A total happy ending unrealistic of the whole situation. How can things come together so perfectly? Well, I guess is called fiction.

I must say that before page 150 I was liking this book so very much. I just found it unnecessary long and deliberately confusing to hold your interest, two combinations that didn't work for me.