Search

Monday, October 20, 2014

Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer

Summary on Goodreads.

Annihilation (Southern Reach Trilogy #1)

"Area X has been cut off from the rest of the continent for decades. Nature has reclaimed the last vestiges of human civilization. The first expedition returned with reports of a pristine, Edenic landscape; all the members of the second expedition committed suicide; the third expedition died in a hail of gunfire as its members turned on one another; the members of the eleven..."

There are too many books to read to waste my time in something that almost is but it is not.

I found this book interesting at the beginning and then slowly enervating. I didn't feel any of the eerie feelings the story is supposed to give you.

I found the lack of names 'fresh,' but what is a name, really? At the end "the psychologist" became the name for which to identify characters. I preferred this much better than giving character weird, unpronounceable names (like Semiranista or Echo).

The book is short but I felt it was never going to end. I didn't feel attach to any of the characters and stopped caring about this tower/tunnel. For all I care, it can be the insides of a giant whale! Bored me enough to skip pages like crazy so I could reach the last page and put it out of my mind.

I'm still waiting for someone to point out where the "horror" is in this book.