Search

Thursday, August 14, 2014

No One Else Can Have You by Kathleen Hale

Summary on Goodreads.

"Small towns are nothing if not friendly. Friendship, Wisconsin (population: 689 688) is no different. Around here, everyone wears a smile. And no one ever locks their doors. Until, that is, high school sweetheart Ruth Fried is found murdered. Strung up like a scarecrow in the middle of a cornfield...."

I found Kippy very refreshing and real. Finally, teenagers that actually sound like teenagers.

I knew I was hooked when Kippy mentioned how when somebody dies you are supposed to feel sad all the time, but then you get distracted and find yourself thinking about banal things.

And the eulogy thing felt so real. I personally never know what to say or how to act at funerals so I just don't go.

I liked the simplicity of the writing and Kippy's humor. Hale didn't seem to emulate the writing of any deceased famous author.

Unfortunately, y page 340 I was bored with the way the police and every adult was handling Kippy's suspicions about the killer. Not even bother to look at the evidence? Really? Totally infuriating. Nobody was giving Kippy the benefit of the doubt and, although I knew that at the end the truth would come out, I don't like stories where everything gets solved in the last ten pages.

Which sadly, this book also did. In the last ten pages:

- Main character finds out who the killer is. CHECKED.

- Main character goes to face killer all by herself. CHECKED.

- Killer proudly confesses. CHECKED.

- Police apologizes for not believing in main character. CHECKED.

-Main character saves the day and gets hero status. CHECKED too!

So putting aside those last pages, I enjoyed the book and loved Kippy's character a lot.