Search

Monday, July 7, 2014

That Night by Chevy Stevens

Summary on Goodreads.

"As a teenager, Toni Murphy had a life full of typical adolescent
complications: a boyfriend she adored, a younger sister she couldn't relate to, a strained relationship with her parents, and classmates who seemed hell-bent on making her life miserable. Things weren't easy, but Toni could never have predicted how horrific they would become until her younger sister was brutal..."

I don't know what happened to Stevens here. Is this the same author who wrote Still Missing (which I loved)? It does't seem so.

I didn't DNF the book because I wanted to see how Toni was going to find out who killed her sister. What a disappointment.

This book is written for... amateurs, I'd say. It was so obvious who had done it that I thought it was a joke, that it couldn't be that simple. So I kept reading because I thought Stevens would pull something great... but she didn't.

From the very beginning all that Toni did was complain: "Shauna hates me. She's out to get me." Well, nobody is going to believe she hates you just because you say so.

This book was sooo childish. Everything seemed to revolve around making Toni's life miserable. Fine. But the constant whining about those girls and never doing anything about it? Annoying, and it made Toni impossible to like; she was rather annoying!

And can things be so perfect for somebody, in this case Shauna? Well, I guess when it is written that way.

Did the police do anything? Of course not. Brave Toni solved everything in the last pages with the typical showing up to confront the killer by herself and then, miraculously getting help.

And why was Shauna's daughter so into exposing her mom? I mean, did your mother torture you or something? Nope, she just forbid you to see some guy, drink, and become promiscuous. So it didn't make sense that she so desperately wanted to help Toni and expose her mom.

But anyway, the predictability of this story was absurd. As I said before, I kept reading it because I thought something interesting was going to happen, but there's nothing more pathetic than when a murder is solved because of a confession. Yes people, the killer confessed. Really? You keep a secret for 17 years just to spill it all out at the smallest sight of provocation? Pathetic, indeed.

Regardless of how mad I was at the predictability of the story, I was compelled to keep reading and finish it. It must be a Stevens' thing. I am still a fan of her despite not liking her second book, Never Knowing, either.

Something that extremely bothered me was that Toni was using one of those pay-as-you-go phones that you can buy without a trace of purchase. How fancy are those cheap phones? Can they take pictures and record? Because Toni recorded her conversation with the killer with this phone. How, exactly was this possible? Supposedly, Toni turn on the phone, pressed 'record' and put it in her packet. How loud were Toni and the killer talking for the conversation to be recorded? Or how close to each other were they? I just found this so ridiculous that I had to say it.

I know is difficult to write two great books and that I shouldn't compare, but after reading Still Missing, That Night felt like a joke.