Search

Sunday, June 22, 2014

Save yourself by Kelly Braffet


Summary on Goodreads.

"Patrick Cusimano is in a bad way. His father is in jail, he works the midnight shift at a grubby convenience store, and his brother's girlfriend, Caro, has taken their friendship to an uncomfortable new level. On top of all that, he can't quite shake the attentions of Layla Elshere, a goth teenager who befriends Patrick for reasons he doesn't understand and doesn't fully trust. The temptations these two women offer are pushing him to his breaking point..."

DNF big time. To much misery in the lives of the characters to make it appealing. I supposed there are people who live really miserable lives, and most of the times I am happy reading about them (sicko), but this time the writing didn't... move me to enjoy it.

I couldn't care about Layla stalking Patrick to become friends because.... Hello! He said he doesn't want to be your friend!! Who in real live tries so hard? Oh! And the poor soul, so misunderstood because she dresses awkward. Is like, people are mean to you because you have embraced freakishness, and then you don't like it. Why dress and act like that, then?

The daddy issues: If you don't like you life because daddy doesn't love you, move away and start over, unless, of course, it's this book and you need to stick around for the sake of the plot.

Verna... is it possible to be that innocent nowadays? Unbelievable.
Patrick was a decent character but I didn't care enough about the sidekick characters to stick with the story.

Another reason the story didn't work for me was because it has too many characters at the same time. I hadn't fully started to feel sorry for Patrick when I was also introduced to Verna's and Layla's problems.

This book is supposed to be a thriller; that is, the book is supposed to have suspense and excitement... I didn't see it here so I decided to follow the title of the book and 'save myself' from finishing it.