Search

Monday, June 30, 2014

Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge

Summary on Goodreads.

"Based on the classic fairy tale Beauty and the Beast, Cruel Beauty is a dazzling love story about our deepest desires and their power to change our destiny...."

This is the first retelling of Beauty and the Beast that I read and hated it.

Nyx bored me out of my mind. And by the way, for someone virginal and pure she was quick enough to become... not so virginal and pure.

The house. Really, what's up with the thousand rooms and never ending stair? It didn't do it for me.

The mythology: I like my Greek and Roman and anything else mythological references, but this book over did it. Every other action was inspired or analyzed by some ancient hero or god. Got me bored as well.

The only good thing (which I missed) is that the lovely and tender sister turned out to be a little bitch of her own. How the heck did that happen. I missed that because I started skipping pages like crazy. Oh well.

Nyx was good enough with the now-I-love-my-sister litany, and now I don't love her chant, because we don't always love our siblings, right? :-)

I couldn't grasp why she sacrificed her love for the sake of a family she despised rather than loved. Just as well.

Like in the movie Frozen, it turns out that a selfless act of love is strong enough to break any curse.