Search

Saturday, May 17, 2014

The Girl With All The Gifts by M. R. Carey


Summary from Goodreads.

Melanie is a very special girl. Dr Caldwell calls her 'our little genius'. Every morning, Melanie waits in her cell to be collected for class. When they come for her, Sergeant keeps his gun pointing at her while two of his people strap her into the wheelchair. She thinks they don't like her. She jokes that she won't bite, but they don't laugh. Melanie loves school. She loves learning about spelling and sums and the world outside the classroom and the children's cells. She tells her favourite teacher all the things she'll do when she grows up. Melanie doesn't know why this makes Miss Justineau look sad.

Amazing! The blurb doesn't say much of what the book is about and I'm going to keep it that way. I don't want to turn away people who might have had enough of this subject like me. Maybe if I had known what the story really was going to be about, I would't have read the book. So I'm very glad the summary is this cryptic and the actual plot was a surprise.

I couldn't help but fall for Melanie and Captain Parkers (or was it Parker?). The ending was so different from other endings with this same subject.

I think this is a stand-alone? I forgot to check that, but the ending tells me it is.

Totally worth the entire day I spent reading this book because I couldn't put it down.

For me the book is a cross of The Walking Dead, 28 Days Later and War Z (the movie, not the weird book). Totally satisfying and done right without the needless and excessive killings and gruesome descriptions.

What makes us humans or animals? Where does one begin and the other ends? You'll have to read the book to find out!

Some bloggers complain about the narration. It is in third person and with three POVs. For me it was perfect.