Search

Sunday, May 25, 2014

MARY: The Summoning by Hillary Monahan

Summary on Goodreads.

"A thrilling fear spins around the room the first time Jess calls her name: 'Bloody Mary. Bloody Mary. BLOODY MARY.' A ripple of terror follows when a shadowy silhouette emerges through the fog, a specter trapped behind the mirror."

MARY: The Summoning (Bloody Mary, #1)

I got this book from Netgalley so I feel terribly bad for having to say that the story is horrible. There's no depth or real emotion. The writing felt very mechanic.

I've heard of Bloody Mary but I don't know her story. After reading this book I am as ignorant as before. Although I can guess where the story is going.

The book doesn't tell the story of Mary because this is another one on those books that are stretched into a series. Why? Why? So Mary's story cannot be fully told here or you wouldn't read the rest of the books. What we get is three letters from Mary to her sister which starts telling a bit about Mary. And that is it!!!!

The rest of the book is in the present time about these four girls that summon Mary... all out of the blue and just because. Mary comes out and refuses to go back. One of the girls is being haunted by Mary so they try to "unsummon" Mary so their friend can have her life back. All while dealing with boyfriends, school, and family.

This book is too simple to be YA; middle grade would be more like it. I totally can picture kids all excited about the morbid description. Yeap, the book tries to describe Bloody Marry in... horrific ways, but as I said earlier, it lacks depth. So I just felt that the author was trying to get me disgusted, not horrified; scared? Never.

1 comments:

  1. Claim free satoshis over at Easy Bitcoin Faucet. 11 to 33 satoshis every 10 minutes.

    ReplyDelete