Search

Sunday, April 20, 2014

The Immortal Rules by Julia Kagawa


The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden #1)

Summary on Goodreads.

I'd refused to read this book because every vampire book that I read is just trying to be another Twilight; and don't get me wrong, I totally love Twilight. Fortunately, I was pleasantly surprised that The Immortal Rules is not trying to be a spin-off of Twilight (like Another Shade of Vampire, for instance).



What I liked:

#1. No drop-dead-gorgeous vampires in the story.

#2. Allison is not "ugly" AKA beautiful but she thinks she's ugly. In fact, beauty is not mentioned in here.

#3. No insta-love!!! Thank you God, thank you!

#4. No love triangle (yet).

#5. Allison is not a defenseless damsel in distress.

#6. The plot doesn't revolve around Allison and other vampires "wanting" her (one way or another).

There is enough action to keep the interest but not too much to bore you either.

I didn't give it the full five stars because there is something that is not completely clicking with me here, plus Kagawa made it too easy for Allison to carry out her first kill.

*** Spoiler ***
The first time that Allison killed a human to feed, she killed some bad guys. For me, this was obviously too easy; Allison didn't have to think at all about what she was about to do because, the way I see it, killing two guys that are trying to rape you is always justifiable. I would had liked it more if Allison was given another choice, one where she really had to come to terms with the new person she was and what she needed to do to survive. But conveniently coming upon two thugs so she could feed wasn't much of a challenge.
*** End Of Spoiler ***