Search

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Life after life by Kate Atkinson

Summary on Goodreads.

This is supposed to be one of the best books of 2013 BUT!... I couldn't finish it. The idea of repetitive lives was interesting: you die, you are born again (or was it being born many times at the same time?). But the repetition of the scenes bored me to death.

In one scene/life, Ursula is born dead. In another one she almost died but didn't. So the scenes of the birth repeat themselves with some changing here and there.

What is going on really? Were these parallel universes? I don't know, I got too bored to find out. For instance, as a child, Ursula drowned on the beach, in another life she almost drowned... Sounds like parallel lives to me... although the book is cataloged under time travel.

It reminded me of the movie Sliding doors but in the book, the constant cuts in the scenes (back to when Ursula was born) really exasperated me. Just when I thought I was passed it, the book went back to Ursula being born. There was no transition between the back and forth, so when I thought I was going to continue with Ursula's story, bam! back to the beginning.

I don't know, it just annoyed me.

Sylvia (Ursula's mother), however, was a much more interesting character.