Search

Monday, January 27, 2014

All Our Yesterdays by Cristin Terrill

Summary on Goodreads.

I almost feel evil for not liking this book :-(

But what the heck?

The time traveling didn't work for me at all; although I did like what was going on in the present with future Marina.

So Em goes back in time for the 15th time to change the future. That is, she needs to stop something from happening so the future is not the horrible place that it is. And this is horrible as in having to get permission to travel, being scanned from head to toe,and probably DNA tested before going from one state to another, and other things like that. That kind of bad. Hmmm.

Anyways, the previous 14 times Em went back in time she tried everything she could to stop what was going to happen from happening but nothing worked. So the only thing left to do is to kill James, the cause of all damnation.

Simple enough, Em got three chances to kill James. Not one, not two, but three! And did she kill him? Of course not. Had that happened the book would had been half the length it is.

And why didn't she kill James when she got the chance? Well, because Terrill thought that it would be suspenseful having Em and James talk bs.

But, when Terrill decides that it is time for Em to finally pull the trigger,
a) she misses because, you know, is the first time she's trying so all couldn't possible go down that easily;

b) a knock at the door won't let her do so. Why, I wonder, you can perfectly pull a trigger while somebody knocks on a door;

and c) James and Em engage in a deep revealing conversation. "why do you want to kill me" - James asks Em the last time.

Well, if the fate of the world, the universe, and all the galaxies depended on you killing the source of their destruction, would you really take your time to explain to said evil why he must die?

Right.

Soooo annoying! This is not my interpretation of suspense, mind you.

Did I mention how Marina obsessed all over James? All. The. Time. And then you wonder why the guy won't ask you out. What would happen if you were actually dating, Marina?

Ah! But Marina grows to be a whole different person, so there's character development in the story as well. Yes sir. I guess we you will see that development in future books, though.

All in all, the beginning was extremely good, but then I got bored when I realized the rest of the story would be a case of catch me if you can and "I'm going to kill you" but then you don't.

I need to go watch Back to the Future and the Time Machine to restore my faith in time traveling.