Search

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

The Wicked Girls by Alex Marwood


Summary on Goodreads.

This was a good mystery but I didn't enjoy a few things:

1. At the beginning of a chapter, I was always confused with who was talking. Not a biggie, but kind of threw me off.

2. The ending. I do not like happy endings, but I do think that just and fair endings are necessary. The ending in this book was neither. Was the rich girl being punished for being born into class?

Do poor kids deserve better than rich ones? That is kind of a question implicated in the book. The way the jury went, it was like they hated the rich girl for being rich and well spoken.

3. The ending again. I really, really disliked the ending. I hope Marwood comes up with kind of a sequel because otherwise... well, I'm just ONE reader so.

4. I didn't like any of the characters at all. There was a point when I almost liked Amber, but besides that, Amber was a very dislikeable character while Kristy was all a very goody-goody lame one. They both lacked back bone.

5. The mob. WTF people? Didn't that murder happen like 20 years ago? AND in a different town? Where did all this righteous people come from? A little explanation, please?

6. I liked Vic and thought of him as a kind of Brad Pitt (don't know why), but he left me hanging. WTH was all that about? Okay, I know the story wasn't about him, but still, psycho Martin had more participation AND the story wasn't about him either.

7. Martin was an interesting character if just to complicate things.

8. Maybe an actual court case would have led me to understand why the girls were convicted because otherwise that made little sense. Were they representing themselves? Because otherwise, they got a very inept lawyer.

In short, I found the writing a little confusing and the back and forth a bit so too, but I did like the story even if the ending was mediocre.