Search

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Asher's Fault by Elizabeth Wheeler

Summary on Goodreads.

Sweet, realistic. It left me missing a kiss. I love that it didn't end with the usual happy ending.

Asher is in that age where we experiment with our sexuality. If I kissed a girl, does that make me a lesbian?

Asher wasn't the all-shy type that people could bully and take advantage of, but he wasn't the star of the school either.

We know from the very summary that his brother, Travis, died. Thus, I don't understand why some bloggers say that Asher mentioning the death of his brother at the beginning ruined the plot.

Asher likes taking pictures, but Wheeler doesn't give us a lesson in photography here.

I am also very happy that the story doesn't have a happy ending! It doesn't have a sad ending either; just a realistic end. Period. And that is what I felt while reading this book, that it was very realistic.

At some point I felt it was dragging, but then it picked up again.

The plot: there really isn't a mystery to solve. That is, Asher wasn't chasing any secret or murder, but towards the end we (he) discovers something that makes sense for the entire story.

The story deals with guilt; yes, Asher feels guilty because his brother drowned. At first, I thought the entire story was going to be about this, you know, the whole "it's my fault. I should be the one who died..." But no, the book is not like that at all.

At the end, Asher discovers something that helps him with his guilty feelings, which makes me think that, when something happens, we only look at it from our side. However, there is always a string of events that lead to any happening, and this is brilliantly explored in Asher's Fault.